- Public Events
- Ngadi Smart in conversation with Claude Grunitzky, CEO, The Equity Alliance. Chairman, TRUE Africa. Moderated by Oussouby Sacko, President of Seika University [ENG>JP]
Ngadi Smart in conversation with Claude Grunitzky, CEO, The Equity Alliance. Chairman, TRUE Africa. Moderated by Oussouby Sacko, President of Seika University [ENG>JP]
Date: 10/9 Time: 13:30 - 15:00
Join Ngadi Smart, Claude Grunitzky and Oussouby Sacko in a lively discussion about the themes and issues explored through Smart’s multidisciplinary practice and learn more about the work shown in KYOTOGRAPHIE.
- Ngadi Smart
- Ngadi Smart is a Sierra Leonean Visual Artist and Designer based between London, U.K and Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Her practice comprises of Illustration, Photography and Design. She also works as a Mixed Media artist, primarily in the form of collage art. In her Photography, her focus is documenting cultures, subcultures and intimacy. Her work often speaks on how people self-identify and choose to present themselves in front of the camera. Recently, she has also been interested in documenting Black sensuality and culture from an African point of view. She aims to show as many representations of African people, and what it means to be African as she can. Her photography has been published on CNN, British Journal of Photography, Vogue Italia, Atmos Magazine, and i-D Magazine.
- Dr. Oussouby Sacko : President, Kyoto Seika University (Japan)
- Oussouby Sacko is President and Professor of Kyoto Seika University in Japan. Born in Mali, he received government scholarship to study architecture in China and then completed his PhD at the Department of Architecture, Graduate School of Engineering, the Kyoto University, Japan. His research explores the relationships between society and architectural space. His publications include Literacy and Culture of Knowledge (Nakanishiya Publishing, 2007) and Contemporary African Culture Today (Seigensha, 2020). He is the 2020-2021 recipient of the Africa Diaspora Network Japan(ADNJ) Award.
- Claude Grunitzky
- Claude Grunitzky is the founder of TRACE, a fast-growing media company which was successfully sold to a French investor group in 2010, and TRUE Africa, a media tech platform championing young African voices all over the world. In 2017, TRUE Africa was funded by Google’s Digital News Initiative. Grunitzky was raised between Lomé, Togo; Washington, DC; Paris and London. Growing up, Grunitzky was exposed to many different cultures. These foreign interactions shaped his transcultural philosophy and informed the creative energy of his media ventures. A graduate of London University and MIT Sloan, where he received an MBA, Grunitzky is also a trustee at MASS MoCA, a contemporary art museum in Massachusetts, and at Humanity in Action, a foundation that works internationally to build global leadership, defend democracy, protect minorities and improve human rights. Grunitzky is a Visiting Social Innovator at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Social Innovation and Change Initiative. Grunitzky is currently working with MIT on TRUE Africa University, an ambitious African higher education project aiming to accelerate the continent’s development by enabling and empowering African youth.
- Thomas Dhellemmes interviewed by Caroline Tossan, independent journalist [FR with JP subtitles]
- DATE: 9/25 Time: 12:00 Web upload
BOOK & POP-UP
- displacement by Rondade
- 10/1 (Friday) - 10/17 (Sunday) 10:00-19:00
- Special Feature: Fill In The Blanks | A Short Documentary by Kazuma Obara. Followed by a Q&A with the artist and Yusuke Nakanishi, Co-Founder KYOTOGRAPHIE [JP]
- Date: 10/3 16:45-19:00