- Public Events
- Fill In The Blanks | A Short Documentary by Kazuma Obara [JP]
Fill In The Blanks | A Short Documentary by Kazuma Obara [JP]
Time : to be announced, please check the Demachiza website
Venue: Demachiza Cinema
Beyond the restricted area, focusing on interviews with workers and their families who are working on convergence at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, as well as nurses and caregivers who are on the front lines under restrictions due to corona infection. Listen to the thoughts and experiences of the frontline people who have become blank areas.
- Kazuma Obara
- Born in Iwate Prefecture in 1985. Photographer and journalist. Obara graduated in photojournalism from University of the Arts, London. Following the Great East Japan earthquake in March 2011, he quit his job at a leasing company and began photographing areas affected by the tsunami and the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant disaster. He was hired to photograph the crippled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant from the inside, culminating in the publication of the photobook Reset: Beyond Fukushima (Zürich: Lars Müller Publishers, 2012), which documented the Great East Japan earthquake and workers at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Obara subsequently published a series of exposés focusing on individual victims of war and nuclear disasters, including Silent Histories (2014), a history of Japanese child victims of indiscriminate World War II bombings; Exposure / Everlasting (2015), which recorded the long-term effects of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident; and Bikini Diaries (2016), on the 1954 US hydrogen bomb test in the Pacific Ocean that exposed Japanese fishermen to radioactive fallout. He has won numerous international awards, including the World Press Photo Award. In 2020, with a grant from the National Geographic Society of the United States, he was continuing to document the efforts of nurses and caregivers working on the front lines of the corona pandemic.
- Special Feature: Special Screening of Sweet Bean, followed by a moment with Naomi Kawase and KYOTOGRAPHIE Co-founder / Co Director director Yusuke Nakanishi [JP]
- Date: 9/23 Time: 18:30 (Film starts at 16:30)
- (Event Cancelled) Line of Sight: Navigating the Transition from the forefront of Tsunami and Radioactivity with Atsunobu Katagiri and Yoshihiro Yabe, Director, Nishiaizu International Art Village [JP]
- Date: 9/18 Time: 17:30-19:00
- SEED to PLATE | Chikashi Okutsu Taneto, Unzen Kyushu, Yoshihiro Imai MONK, Kyoto and Kijima Toshifumi Wakka Farm, Shiga. [JP]
- DATE: 10/5 TIME: 17:00 - 18:30